Fireplace Safety


A Fireplace becomes dangerous when accumulated tar or creosote catches fire or from uncontrolled burning or over-fuelling. Other causes of fireplace-related fires are substandard design or installation and lack of safety precautions.

  • Open the damper before lighting the fire, and keep it open until the ashes are cool enough to touch.
  • Ensure the fire is completely out before going to bed or leaving the house.
  • Do not store combustible materials such as paper or wood too close to the fireplace.
  • Use a screen in front of the fireplace opening to prevent embers from escaping and igniting carpets, etc.
  • Never leave children alone near a fireplace.
  • Use dry, well-seasoned wood in small amounts.
  • Have chimneys cleaned and serviced at regular intervals by a professional.
  • Never overload your fireplace.
  • Never use charcoal starter fluids, gasoline or any flammable substance to start fires.
  • When using artificial logs, burn only one at a time and follow instructions on the wrapping.
  • Always place the ashes in a metal container and take them outside the house.
You are here: Home Fire Prevention Winter Safety Fireplace Safety